World Mental Health Day 2021
World Mental Health Day is celebrated every year on October 10th. The overall objective of World Mental Health Day is to raise awareness of mental health issues around the world. The Day provides an opportunity for people working on mental health issues to talk about their work, and what more needs to be done to make mental health care a reality for people worldwide.
Your mental health and wellbeing are just as important as your physical health. Positive mental health and wellbeing enables you to function properly, have meaningful social connections, positive self-esteem and be better able to cope with life’s ups and downs. It is important at every stage of life, from childhood and adolescence through adulthood.
Mental health includes our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It affects how we think, feel, and act. It also helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others, and make healthy choices.
What causes mental illness?
There is no single cause for mental illness. Several factors can contribute to risk for mental illness, such as
- Early adverse life experiences, such as trauma or a history of abuse (for example, child abuse, sexual assault, witnessing violence, etc.)
- Experiences related to other ongoing (chronic) medical conditions, such as cancer or diabetes
- Biological factors or chemical imbalances in the brain
- Use of alcohol or drugs
- Having feelings of loneliness or isolation
Five warning signs of a bad mental state are:
- Excessive paranoia, worry, or anxiety.
- Long-lasting sadness or irritability.
- Extreme changes in moods.
- Social withdrawal.
- Dramatic changes in eating or sleeping pattern
A few tips that can help maintain your mental health and wellbeing:
- Share your feelings with people you trust regularly
- Keep your body active and healthy and eat well
- Find a hobby you enjoy and take time to relax
- Set yourself realistic goals to help motivate yourself
- Get enough sleep
Here are some useful links where you can check on your mental health:
https://bit.ly/3yZsFK5 – NHS Depression and Anxiety Self-Assessment Quiz
https://www.talkspace.com/assessments – Take a Free Mental Health Test
https://bit.ly/3hkzuQu – Learn more about specific mental health problems
https://www.mentalhealth.gov/get-help – Where to get help
Get in touch
If you’d like to speak to one of our team, please fill out the form and we’ll be in touch.